[bandcamp width=350 height=470 album=1060534156 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false]
Ultraviolet Hippopotamus is an explosive five-piece progressive improvisational band with a rapidly growing fan base across the U.S. and, more recently, Europe. Described as “brightening the future of the jam band scene,” Ultraviolet Hippopotamus mixes tight, funky jams with new dance beats, heartfelt lyrics, compelling composition, eccentric effects and a vibrant light show for an incredible, one-of-a-kind musical experience. Known for its on-stage musical alchemy – cultivated from years of relentless touring – the band performs an eclectic selection of technically demanding compositions and improvised material along with unconventional and fun covers.
The group deftly journeys between funk, jazz, livetronica, space rock, reggae, bluegrass, and progressive rock within a single show and, sometimes, within a single song. Exploring new ground and taking risks make every performance unique, and fans are never sure what exactly the band will deliver each night; other than exceptional music.
Anyone remotely familiar with the ‘jam band sound’ will immediately recognize Ultraviolet Hippopotamus’ influences and genre-mixing musical objectives, but the band adds a level of talent, intricacy and polish that truly sets it apart. Tight, energetic jams and outstanding vocals — a true rarity among the band’s peers — coupled with the act’s spontaneity and strong songwriting add to its appeal. The word is out, and the band is quickly developing into an international sensation.
Ultraviolet Hippopotamus’ highly praised third album, “Square Pegs, Round Holes,” reached No. 3 and spent much of the year in the top 25 of the Relix Magazine/Jambands.com National Radio Chart and was voted “2011 Studio Album of the Year” at the Home Grown Music Network. It also received similar nominations from several radio programs, among other acclaim. The album continues to sell steadily and receives airplay across the U.S. as well as internationally in Italy, Brazil, France, Switzerland, England, Spain, Germany and other countries.
- Turbo Suit ft. Joel Cummins, with very special guest Exmag! 2 Nights – Friday & Saturday, November 27th & 28th
- Funksgiving 2- featuring Dell Zell, Audiodacity, Midwest Hype and Funky Junk – Saturday, November 21st
- CAE Presents: Spankalicious, Magnetic, Mt. Analogue, Nashawti & Frozen Turtle – Saturday, December 26th
- IndyMojo’s 420 Tent Party w/ Manic Focus, Late Night Radio, Twin Cats & more – Wednesday, April 20th
- SOLD OUT – 8/5 OFFICIAL UMPHREY’S AFTERSHOW!! Earphorik featuring Jake Cinninger of UM – Friday, August 5th
- CAE Presents: Kaleidoscope Jukebox, Alejo, Tangled Branches, The Flourish & Antik One – Friday, June 24th
- Magnetic, MC Sparkplug, Mt. Analogue, Johnathan Thomas & Evolutionary Enlightenment – Saturday, July 16th
- Jerry Garcia’s Birthday pt. 2 feat. Hyryder, Howard, Midnight Friars and a special ‘Old & In The Way’ tribute – Saturday, July 30th
- CAE Presents: Kaleidoscope Jukebox Vinyl Sessions w/ Kyle Long, Eric Salazar & Jin-XS – Saturday, October 1st
- Jerry Garcia’s 75th BDay pt. 4 at 4pm – 5 SETS of Hyryder wsg/ Midnight Friars – Saturday, August 5th
- Indy Local Showcase feat. Graham The Empire, Tied, MAD Pritch and Frozen Turtle – Saturday, November 25th